[SEL] How to lube old engines?

Paul Pavlinovich pjp at steamengine.com.au
Fri Oct 8 20:21:39 PDT 2004

Leroy C. wrote:

> Rick I. wrote:
>
>> I've got several questions on lubrication that I can't seem to find the
>> answers to (I've already searched the SEL archives).

I bet you did not look in the FAQ -
http://www.steamengine.com.au/ic/faq/index.html
It is all there and mostly built from the input of the members of this
and the old engine lists.
Your
> piston will get it's oil, Oh and set the drip rate at about one every
> 10-15 seconds

Leroy is right, but there is a formula: Use 2 - 3 drops per horse power
per minute, so for your engine being a 3HP I'd use 6 to 9 drops per
minute which is about the same drop rate as Leroy's advice.

ps. Leroy is just about always right :)

pjp at steamengine.com.au
Emerald, Victoria, Australia
www.steamengine.com.au