[SEL] How to lube old engines?

Leroy C. oldengin at udata.com
Fri Oct 8 04:37:41 PDT 2004

Rick I. wrote:

>Howdy, everybody!
>
>I've just RE-joined the list; the last time I was here was when it was at
>indiana.edu.
>After years of looking, I've finally found my
>first stationary engine to fix up.  I've been looking forward to this for a
>long time.  I've got a fairly good idea how things work, but the
>little details take a while to figure out, as some things are somewhat old &
>nearly forgotten technology.
>
>I've now got a hit-and-miss Taylor Vacuum Engine, Type C, 2HP.  It has
>sparkplug ignition with a Wico EK magneto (type 2 drive), and open
>crankcase.  It's a green machine.  :-)
>
>I'm slowly going over the engine, trying to understand thoroughly what
>everything does before I attempt to start it.
>
>I've got several questions on lubrication that I can't seem to find the
>answers to (I've already searched the SEL archives).
>
>1) What weight of motor oil should be used in the piston's drip oiler (in
>moderate weather)?  Perhaps something like straight 30 weight Quaker State?
>Is a multigrade viscosity, like 10w30 ok?  I presume this same weight oil is
>used to oil other parts of the engine before starting, too, using an
>oilcan.
>-I already know that on this particular type of engine you need to
>mix oil with the gas in order to properly lube the innermost part of the
>piston; I'm planning on using modern 2 cycle oil mixed 16:1.

Gday
First time use what oil you have, if it is cool then use something a
little thinner, like 20 weight or 30 weight. You engin is a four stroke
model and you should not need two cycle oil in the fuel??????????  Your
piston will get it's oil, Oh and set the drip rate at about one every
10-15 seconds

>2) On top of the governor shaft, there's a small pinky-sized tube with a
>flap-cap on it.  You can see the shiny shaft down at the bottom of the tube.
>I presume the tube is for oil (not grease).  How do I use this?  Do I put
>just a *few drops* of
>(the same) oil in, OR does it get *filled up* with oil?  (I'm not sure why
>this one
>component alone has this tube.)

Your choice.. Do you want to keep it clean or do you like the looks of
an oily engin? A drop or two should do fine

>3) I've got 3 grease cups.  I've read that the bearing grease cups get
>filled with (what else) "cup grease", but what's the modern equivalent of
>cup
>grease?  Perhaps something like wheel bearing grease, e.g. Kendall Super Blu
>High Temp EP grease?

Grease is grease in todays world, BUT I would probably not use synthetic
in her

>4) How do you USE the grease cups themselves during normal operation?  I
>presume I'll want to clean
>out the old grease somehow, then fill it (how full?) with fresh grease...
>then
>what?  How much do I tighten the caps down initially?  An old Hercules
>manual I found says "Watch the grease closely, give them a quarter of a turn
>each time you start the engine".  Is this all the follow up attention it
>really needs- a quarter turn before starting?

Use your caps as you do the oiler, do you  like your engin greasy or do
you want to keep her a little cleaner????? 1/4 is plenty and if the
grease is hard or grittty then clean out the caps and fill them with a
putty knife or screwdriver andf put them on simple here...

>5) What oil should be used for the magneto?  Maybe light machine oil like
>3-in-1 or Singer sewing machine oil?

Do NOT oil the mag!!!!!!!!!!!!  Ted or Bill will tell you more here...
bad bad idea the oil with electrical parts        Just my ideas on how
the set her up.  Let us know when you get her running.