[SEL] Governor for Chevy 350 engine?

Steve W. falcon at telenet.net
Mon Nov 29 17:44:22 PST 2004

Put a heavy duty gear reduction starter on it and it will crank it over
like nothing. I have horsed my old blazer over big rocks using nothing
but the starter motor before. I would probably put a clutch in between
the engine and anything else though, just for safety. Plus the extra
mass of the flywheel and pressure plate will allow the engine to turn
much smoother. I would even connect a second flywheel before the gearbox
for that same reason. Instead of the gearbox you could just put a 3/4
speed transmission on the engine, easy and you could select the gear and
speed according to how much power you actually need. IE put it in 2 and
hit the gas when you need high output or put it in 3 and throttle back
if your turning something a bit lighter.  Just a thought. Oh if you go
that route you don't need to be very specific since just about any GM
transmission will fit. Just tell them the year of the engine so you get
the correct flywheel (different bolt patterns for old/new) Bellhousings
are all the same from small block/big block and the 4.3 V-6 so they are
easy to find as well.

Steve Williams