[SEL] Governor for Chevy 350 engine?

Todengine at aol.com Todengine at aol.com
Mon Nov 29 15:17:21 PST 2004

I checked the DC motor today and the nameplate RPM rating is 500-1200.  So
from this info. I would ascertain that driving the motor at 1200 would produce
250 volts and from posts on this list I've determined that about 2400 would be
a good speed for the V8 engine.  I can obtain a 2 to 1 ratio reduction gearbox
without much problem, but I was wondering about direct connecting the motor,
gearbox and generator together.  Basically I don't believe a standard starter
motor would turn the whole mass over fast enough for the motor to start.

But why not just run DC voltage through the generator (which is in fact a
motor) and use that to start the gas motor. Might work!

Rick Rowlands
Executive Director
Tod Steam Engine Historic Landmark
William Tod 34" x 68" x 60" Cross Compound Steam Engine
Youngstown, OH
www.todengine.org