[SEL] Wisconsin Tradegy (ot)

Steve W. falcon at telenet.net
Tue Nov 23 16:24:09 PST 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Arnie Fero" <fero_ah at city-net.com>
To: "The SEL email discussion list" <sel at lists.stationary-engine.com>
Cc: "Slick Willy" <slick at toltbbs.com>
Sent: Tuesday, November 23, 2004 6:14 PM
Subject: Re: [SEL] Wisconsin Tradegy (ot)

> Hi Tom,
>
> On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 Germoamer at aol.com wrote:
>
> > Highly controversial subject and only "not listed" as an assault
rifle thru a
> > technicality
>
> True!!  As are a great many conventional hunting rifles.  The ban was
> based on cosmetic features that made the rifles look "scary."

Yep, not a SINGLE item in the ban made ANY difference to the way the
firearms actually
functioned. OH and don't forget that it ONLY banned new production and
sales of
new weapons, any that were already out there were still available.

> > and very simply converted to automatic firing by purchase of
> > minor parts at any "legal" gun show.
>
> The SKS is NOT "simply converted" to full-auto.  That is a myth.  For
> rifles that CAN be converted to full auto, those conversion parts are
> regulated EXACTLY as are the full auto machine guns themselves.  Both
> buyer and seller must have Federal Class 3 FFLs which entail more
scrutiny
> into your life than most shooters are willing to bear and a $3000 fee
on
> top of that.

> And, yes, machine guns may be legally bought and sold at gun shows
> providing that BOTH buyer and seller have Class 3 FFLs.  And a helluva
lot
> of money!  A classic Tommy gun in shootable condition was going for
> ~$15,000 at my friendly local gun show this weekend.  An Uzi was going
in
> the range of $6,000 to $10,000 depending on features and condition.
Full
> auto is a rich man's game.  WAY too rich for me.

Not entirely correct Arnie.
To purchase an NFA weapon, you must submit two sets of fingerprints,
a recent photo, a sworn affidavit that transfer of the NFA firearm is of
"reasonable necessity,"
and that sale to and possession of the weapon by the applicant "would be
consistent with public safety"
and endure a background investigation. In addition, the application must
be signed by a chief law
enforcement officer with jurisdiction in the applicant's residence.
However you do need two class 3s IF your buying a weapon from another
dealer out of state.

BUT prices are REDICULOUS as you stated.

Get caught with a drop in "auto-sear" for an AR-15 and not have the
paperwork
for it and you WILL spend time behind bars, Plus lose your rights to
EVER own any firearms
ever again, and spend BIG money paying fines. Since that is one part
that can make an ILLEGAL
unregistered machine gun. Making any machine gun is illegal.