[SEL] Wisconsin Tradegy (ot)

Arnie Fero fero_ah at city-net.com
Tue Nov 23 15:14:18 PST 2004

Hi Tom,

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 Germoamer at aol.com wrote:

> Highly controversial subject and only "not listed" as an assault rifle thru a
> technicality

True!!  As are a great many conventional hunting rifles.  The ban was
based on cosmetic features that made the rifles look "scary."

> and very simply converted to automatic firing by purchase of
> minor parts at any "legal" gun show.

The SKS is NOT "simply converted" to full-auto.  That is a myth.  For
rifles that CAN be converted to full auto, those conversion parts are
regulated EXACTLY as are the full auto machine guns themselves.  Both
buyer and seller must have Federal Class 3 FFLs which entail more scrutiny
into your life than most shooters are willing to bear and a $3000 fee on
top of that.

And, yes, machine guns may be legally bought and sold at gun shows
providing that BOTH buyer and seller have Class 3 FFLs.  And a helluva lot
of money!  A classic Tommy gun in shootable condition was going for
~$15,000 at my friendly local gun show this weekend.  An Uzi was going in
the range of $6,000 to $10,000 depending on features and condition.  Full
auto is a rich man's game.  WAY too rich for me.

> I will say again that any high powered gun with a load
> capacity of 20 rounds is not a hunting gun!
> Tom Schmutz

I'll agree that anyone who would call himself a hunter sure as hell
shouldn't NEED 20 rounds in the gun!!  8-))

See ya,  Arnie

PS - Can we move this thread over to Slick Willy?

Arnie Fero
Pittsburgh, PA
fero_ah at city-net.com