[SEL] Fuel for babbitt/lead melting burner

James Mackessy jmackess at twcny.rr.com
Tue Nov 2 18:26:19 PST 2004

Hi Rick;
     Pump that puppy up and make sure it will hold pressure without leaking.
Minor
leaks can ignite without major problems, but you definitely want to be sure
there
are no big leaks before any fire is involved. I've fixed hundreds ( no
exaggeration )
of Coleman products and similar, including "Coleman Gas Plants" which are
like
a lead melting stove on steroids. Most run on white gas, but there were a
lot of mantle
lanterns made for kerosene only also. I have never seen a kerosene
blowtorch, but
I bet they are out there too. The vaporizing tubes for kerosene are
generally larger
than their gas counterparts, other than that they are so similar as to make
it hard to
tell them apart. Another thing to be looking for, especially on deep-drawn
brass fuel
tanks, is cracking. Even if it holds pressure, if there are vertical cracks
in the brass fuel
tank I would not use it. The potential for a really ugly and painful
accident is there, so
a little respect and preventative maintenance is in order. Good Luck!
Best Regards;
Jim Mackessy
Syracuse, New York, USA