[SEL] Little OT pitcher pump that I want to drive with Herc.

MaytagTwin at aol.com MaytagTwin at aol.com
Wed Jun 30 13:45:48 PDT 2004

In a message dated 6/30/2004 4:33:28 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
BillMil357 at aol.com writes:

> Hi Ron;
>
> Man you have sure shed some light on my pump, if you wanted to run a pipe
> straight up where the plug is would you put the plug in the hole on the
> side?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Bill.

Hi Bill,
Yes, either the hole on top that is plugged, or, the hole on the side can be
output.  You should have another hole or pipe under your pump that is the
intake port.  Just above it should be a built in check valve.  IF that valve is
missing, you can install a simple flap check valve in the intake line.  That
will work OK, especially if your intake line is pipe, not poly.

Pay attention to the geometry of your power setup.  If you use a walking beam
as you saw at SIAM, you might set up the center of the walking beam so that
it has enough pivot motion to keep your pump piston rod centered in the packing
gland.  Those parts can all be wood, and you'll get lots of monkey motion.
You can use cardboard, and cut out the shapes, then pin them together and study
the motion before you make them of wood, using the cardboard as templates for
cutting your wood.

I think you have a fine pump there, with much more potential than a common
pitcher pump.

Ron