[SEL] Maytag Upright Questions

Dave Rotigel rotigel at alltel.net
Sat Jun 5 21:12:35 PDT 2004

Hi Joe, Perhaps I can help with at least some if your problems.
From: "Joe Prindle" <joe_prindle2001 at yahoo.com>

> I am getting ready to start painting and assembling my maytag MOTOR. It is
> a vertical, with battery and coil ignition. I have a few questions, for
> those who might know. Here goes....
> Which fuel tank is better, the one with the sloping sides or the straight
> one? I have one of each, and they both would fit.

You will fine that if you use the tank with sloping sides that your MAYTAG
will not start nor run. On the other side of the coin, you will find that if
you use the tank with the straight sides your MAYTAG will not start nor run.

> When assembling the engine, which way does the connecting rod go in? With
> the offset end pointing towards the carby or the other way?

It's always best when putting the connecting rod in to put the end attached
to the piston in first. It doesn't help with making the MOTOR run, but
cosmetically it seems the thing to do.

 had real good mains, but the crankpin was worn tapered and
> oval. Since it is a side crank, it wasn't that bad to fix. The crank pin
> had a center in it, and I took a block of steel, bored a hole in it to
> slip over the end of the crank and put it in the 4 jaw, then ran my
> tailstock center in the center hole in the crank pin. It wasn't the most
> rigid setup I have ever done, but I must have had my tongue held just
> right because it worked real slick.

Joe, PLEASE remember that this is a family oriented List. This sort of talk
is, I'm sure, very acceptable on the LIBERAL lists to which you subscribe,
and I've heard you LIBERALS say that "It's only kinky the first time."
However, kindly remember that we have some women under the age of 40 on our
List with virgin ears!

Last winter I cast a new rod and now I
> need to bore it undersized by ten thou to match the crankpin. The heck of
> it is that I took the old rod out of the piston, but I can't remember
> whether the bend on the end of the rod goes towards the carby or away from
> it.
The MOTOR will not run which-ever way you put it in. But be of good cheer
for NONE of Fred's instruments of the devil ever did run!

> I knew I was getting old when I started getting a few grey hairs, now
> I seem to be getting CRS, too.
> Any help you could give me would sure be appreciated. I tried to look in
> the SEL archives on the atis site, but they are not very navigable.
> Thanks,
> Joe

    I sure hope that I've been of help to you Joe. Someone like you who
supports a looser in the election to be held in about 150 days needs all the
help that they can get!
    Dave
PS, I tried to find your snail on your HP so that I could send you a copy of
the MAYTAG Service Manual that I have copied for friends in the past.
However, your snail is not there. I guess that if Interpol were looking for
me I wouldn't publish my snail either!
PPS, Send me your snail off List. I'll copy it to the envelope into which
I'll put the Service Manual and then eat the paper so that Interpol will not
be able to find it. The Manual will then go out tomorrow and all your
problems will be solved by Wed. at the latest!