[SEL] Maytag Upright Questions

Joe Prindle joe_prindle2001 at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 5 20:14:16 PDT 2004

I am getting ready to start painting and assembling my maytag MOTOR. It is
a vertical, with battery and coil ignition. I have a few questions, for
those who might know. Here goes....
Which fuel tank is better, the one with the sloping sides or the straight
one? I have one of each, and they both would fit.
When assembling the engine, which way does the connecting rod go in? With
the offset end pointing towards the carby or the other way? The crankshaft
for this engine had real good mains, but the crankpin was worn tapered and
oval. Since it is a side crank, it wasn't that bad to fix. The crank pin
had a center in it, and I took a block of steel, bored a hole in it to
slip over the end of the crank and put it in the 4 jaw, then ran my
tailstock center in the center hole in the crank pin. It wasn't the most
rigid setup I have ever done, but I must have had my tongue held just
right because it worked real slick. Last winter I cast a new rod and now I
need to bore it undersized by ten thou to match the crankpin. The heck of
it is that I took the old rod out of the piston, but I can't remember
whether the bend on the end of the rod goes towards the carby or away from
it. I knew I was getting old when I started getting a few grey hairs, now
I seem to be getting CRS, too.
Any help you could give me would sure be appreciated. I tried to look in
the SEL archives on the atis site, but they are not very navigable.
Thanks,
Joe

=====
Joe Prindle