[SEL] Re: Briggs Question

jlb94 at juno.com jlb94 at juno.com
Thu Jun 3 07:11:26 PDT 2004

Thanks to all (Roger - Ron - Bill B. - Bill D.) for answering my question
on adjusting the Briggs valves.

This is one of the engines I picked up from an old fellow in a
neighboring borough.
He needed to make space and gave me 8 small engines and this Roto-Tiller.
I got 2 Sears Square Base Briggs running and a model 8 that I sold.
There was also a 1936 Briggs Model "B" that I sold.
This is the last of the engines (Roto-Tiller) and I think there's hope
for it.

I figured I'd have to grind recalling posts from the past.

I am a little hesitant to start grinding as the engine had run (according
to the carbon) before.  But I couldn't find any adjustment.  And, cannot
imagine how the valve would "grow" - Unless the seat wore down.   I have
a couple spare valves from junkers.
I'll try to see if one of those fits any better.

I had a 1936 Model "B" - with crank - that had a compression release like
Bill B. mentioned - and - looked for something that might serve the same
purpose but couldn't find any.  Anyway, a compression release usually
works on the exhaust valve, not the intake valve - Right ?

This is a small 3HP & I don't THINK it would have a compression release.