[SEL] Re: Briggs Question

Bill Dickerson bill at antique-engines.com
Thu Jun 3 07:38:10 PDT 2004

Mechanical compression release works as a weight on the cam gear, it
operates a lever that is embedded in the cam lobe - gives the valve some
lift where there would normally be none.
As the engine speeds up, the weight moves outward, pulling the lever in and
letting the valve operate as normal.
B&S more commonly used a special cam grind to accomplish similar on their
small aluminum engines. Yes, the exhaust valve was lifted ever-so-slightly
to relieve some compression on the compression stroke. The idea was that as
the engine sped up, this would have little impact on the running and power
of the engine. Well, their engines always seemed to have enough power for
me.

Have you noticed that it now takes a 4.5 or 5hp engine to run the same
rotary lawn mower that we used to run with a 3 or 3.5 hp engine?
Thank your government and blade speed limits for that............

Bill