[SEL] Re: Govenor weight springs

Alan Bowen alanb2 at webtv.net
Tue Jul 27 14:59:52 PDT 2004

Hi Rex,
I'm guessing you found some lighter springs,,,,,  I try to keep a supply
of them around and I take them to shows.

Note to self,,,
Go dig through the box of mixed springs that the hardware store sells
cheap.
It looks like I will be taking a 1918 1-1/2hp Hercules E  to the Buckley
show along with a bunch of parts and see it she will speak up after
approx. 75 years of silence.  I expect I will need a lighter spring for
the gov.  A couple years ago when I took my barn fresh 1928 Herc. S to
Buckley and fired her up I just happened to have the perfect spring in
the bag.  My engine buddy suggested I just cut off part of the original
spring.  I just pulled out a bag of springs,,,,,,,

Well,,, I better get off here and go start grinding on a FBM rod end-cap
to make it fit the Herc's con-rod.  That's tonight's project.

Alan Bowen alanb2 at webtv.net
Williamsburg, Michigan

~~~~~~Rex Hinz wrote~~~~~

Thanks for the help Alan & Chuck , the engine is now running at a safe
speed around 500 rpm and I'm less worried about things flying apart ,
didn't mean to ruin a chaukboard but I thought I would ask the Pro's ,
as I just got started in the hobby and I thought good advice is better
than a poke in the dark.
Rex