[SEL] olds - now dating them

Judge Tommy Turner lcjudge at scrtc.com
Thu Jul 22 05:01:24 PDT 2004

Michael,
	Good info on the Olds dating.  However, there are some "screwy" things
that happen when trying to pinpoint a date for an Olds (or other engines
for that matter).  The sale or delivery date of the old iron often
doesn't match the construction date.  My 6 HP Gearless is a good
example.  The Gearless production ended sometime around the turn of the
century.  I have the original sales receipt, delivery ticket (from the
depot) and even the original order placed for the engine.  It is dated
April 1906.  The Type A engines were in production then.  My Gearless
was sold by the Lunt Moss Company.  Discussing this with others, we
determined that possibly when the switch over was made from the gearless
to the other models, there was possibly a good supply of the gearless
engines warehoused.  They were possibly shipped to the jobbers such as
Lunt Moss, with the Type A's going to the regular Olds
suppliers/dealers.  I don't know much about my 10 HP Type G and the date
on it.  It has quite a bit of similarity to the Gearless engines however.

Tommy Turner
Magnolia, KY