[SEL] RE: Fuel Savers

Patrick M Livingstone pml1 at bigpond.net.au
Tue Jul 20 04:52:03 PDT 2004

If the fuel savers were such a good idea how come they were not universally
adopted in the USA? I also cannot think of any English engines which used a
fuel saver mechanism.
Tangyes would be a good example of an English engine that could have
benefited from such a mechanism. They govern by holding the exhaust valve
open but have an atmospheric intake valve. The fuel intake is through the
valve seat of the atmospheric valve. Any fluttering of this valve would
allow fuel in and the engine would not govern properly (if at all).
Admittedly the spring tension is critical but it all seems to work fine.
Perhaps the fuel saver was a mechanical way to get around the need for
critical spring tensions on the mass produced American engines?

Patrick M Livingstone
Leichhardt NSW
http://www.oldengine.org/members/pml/Index.html
http://www.users.bigpond.com/pml/