[SEL] O.T. DSL Service - Run a Dedicated line?

Jeff Allen transteck at earthlink.net
Mon Jul 12 13:41:44 PDT 2004

Paul,

I would go with a dedicated line from the phone box. I did mine that way
with regular phone cable and it works fine. For a new line like you're
installing, go with Cat 5 as Bill mentioned. You can buy two or four wire
Cat 5 cable depending on how many wires your system uses. My Telco uses two.
Run from the box outside to the plug in box inside. No connectors needed.
The RJ11 cord that comes with your DSL kit should work fine from the inside
box to the modem.

You will also need a NIC for this. That's a network interface card. It
connects between the modem and your computer. On a laptop you can buy a PC
card NIC. For a desktop you have to add a card inside if you don't have one.
I think there are USB cards available also if you don't want to go inside
the box.

My two cents worth.

Regards,

Jeff Allen