[SEL] O.T. Need Computer Advice

Jeff Allen transteck at earthlink.net
Tue Jul 6 18:07:10 PDT 2004

Bill,

The Blaster Worm will shut down a computer. Not a true virus, but a worm. An
anti virus that is out of date won't catch it, and that is Paul's problem.
The Microsoft patch, and the virus definition have been out for almost a
year now. I just cleaned a system a couple weeks ago with the worm. I spent
about four hours cleaning and updating the computer, and that was on DSL.
There were over 25 Meg of Microsoft updates, and about the same for the anti
virus. There really is no excuse for this. So to you and all on the list:

Install all Microsoft critical updates weekly, and update your anti virus at
least once a week. Run a virus scan weekly, and most can be automated, so
there is no excuse. Install a firewall, or at least use the one that came
with XP. It's better than nothing. Also use Lavasoft Adaware for spyware.
It's free.

There is also another option. Pay someone like me or my buddy a couple
hundred bucks to clean up your mess. The system I did was for my cousin and
she was informed the next one won't be free. For more info on the worm check
out:
http://www.microsoft.com/security/incident/blast.mspx

Regards,

Jeff Allen