[SEL] O.T. Need Computer Advice

Bill Dickerson bill at antique-engines.com
Tue Jul 6 19:56:18 PDT 2004

It CAN shut down a computer - but only certain operating systems, not all.
And, it has nothing to do with dial-up connections.
It's a root service that it affects and the end result is a complete Windows
shutdown.
(which you can PREVENT, by the way, with a simple command)
However, that is NOT the intent of BLASTER - that is a SIDE EFFECT only, not
by design.
So I still maintain, the virus does not attempt to disconnect from the
Internet.
And my statement still stands - NAV will catch the virus - you mention "out
of date" - that is the fault of the operator, not the product, so the
product will indeed catch it, however, it's like a gun - a gun will only hit
what the operator aims at, operator error equals missed target. Failure to
load gun, missed target.
BLASTER is quite old, so unless they have not updated this year at all, NAV
will find the "original" BLASTER. Do watch for VARIANTS, however.

Yes, I'm aware of what "blaster" does, and doesn't do - I've written
articles on computer viruses, including FAQs used by Symantec...............
I've even disassembled them - and ( just turned down a chance to be an
engineer at Symantec, working on their corporate products. Their engineers
called me and wanted to fly me out to Santa Monica but we refuse to live in
CA)
And I'm a lot cheaper than a couple hundred bucks - I can clean them up in a
couple of hours, $35/hour. I've cleaned up entire corporate
networks..............

I still stick with my original contention that about 90% of computer woes
blamed on "viruses" are NOT viruses. Yes, viruses DO infect computers and
cause problems, but in my experience (over 14 years worth of computer virus
fighting) MOST issues are not virus related at all - and everyone seems to
like to cry "VIRUS!" at the first sign of computer problems - the result is
that they learn NOTHING about the REAL cause, and simply go in and blast
things away and do a resintall!

Bill