[SEL] Big engine starting wheels?

Keith Kinney kkinney at herculesengines.com
Tue Jul 6 14:26:15 PDT 2004

Glenn
Take a look at this link to see how we rigged up a pony engine on our
Superior 25 HP.
http://www.herculesengines.com/OFES/images/Portland2002/2002_0824_134151AA.jpg
It works by turning the iron wheel on the back of the cart.  It activates a
threaded rod that moves the pony motor in our out.  It works real well but
could would work better if the rub wheel were smaller.  You really have to
slip the clutch to get it up to speed.  I put a small hydraulic jack under
the exhaust valve and get her turning over pretty good.  Release the
exhaust valve, adjust the fuel mixture and away she goes.

We are getting better at starting the engine by hand and I expect we'll be
removing the pony engine before to long.

Keith