[SEL] Delco-Light Model 1271 questions

John Mackesy mack at melbpc.org.au
Mon Jul 5 05:50:21 PDT 2004

I've just acquired a Delco-Light Model 1271 lighting plant, 125V 1.25 Kw .
It's essentially complete and in reasonable condition, but will require some
serious cosmetic work, rings, top cap and generator end cover.

Although I have a serious mechanical background (larger radial aircraft
engines, auto engines and gearboxes, truck diesels) I've never worked on
'vintage' machinery. As of right now I don't have any repair or overhaul
data, but would like to get started. A few questions for those who've 'been
there, done that':

1. How do you remove the flywheel/fan assembly?
2. How is the generator separated from the engine?
3. Does it run on gasoline or kerosene (has mixer valve, not carb)?
4. What sort of ignition coil should it have?
5. Parts - looking for top cap and generator end cover, gaskets. Piston
rings I can probably source locally (I'm in Australia).

Any other sage advice would be most appreciated.

Thanks,

John Mackesy