[SEL] Gencolight model 26 light plant

Joe Prindle joe_prindle2001 at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 4 07:37:12 PDT 2004

Hi Rex,
I think that the way you have talked about straightening things out should
work just fine.
How bad is the rod? Can you put a helicoil in there to fix the stripped
threads?
As far as your rod bearing goes.... I can pour one for you, or lend you a
ladle, some babbitrite, a furnace to melt the babbit with and give you
some babbit, if you want to try doing it yourself. Or, I can pour one for
you if you would like.
I will be on vacation starting Wednesday, through the following Monday. I
will be in and out of the showgrounds, working on getting the foundation
forms ready for the 3 cylinder Fairbanks, NW of the gas engine shed. If
you want to take a chance and catch me, I can fix you up with the stuff to
do your own bearing. If you want, email me off list with the time to
expect you, or for my cell phone number. We have some errands to run, got
to go to portage and pick up stock to make the foundation bolts and rebar,
then down to Hoot Owl Valley to use Bill Klemm's wirefeed welder, or
better yet, watch Bill use it. If you need Helicoils, let me know what
size, I have most sizes at home in the shop and can fix you up.
There is a fellow on Harry's who calls himself Delco Don. He might have
parts. I have had a little correspondence with him and think I made him
(or some other light plant collector) some 1/2-12 studs a few years back.
He is a really good guy and might know where to get parts. I can't find
his email addy, but you shouldn't have a hard time getting it if you ask
around.
Joe
--- Rex Hinz <rexhinz at chorus.net> wrote:
> Hi list '
>
>    Maybe some one can help . I have a friend (Eric Applebaum) that has a
> General Gas-Electric Co. Gencolight generator  model 26  type H serial #
> 14082   it is complete and he had it running until it started to back
> fire
> and stopped , one of the con. rod bearing cap bolts   stripped and the
> piston hit the intake valve broke it off and also busted the first and
> second lands on the piston   not to mention the crank end of the rod
> where
> the cap and rod are bent out of shape due to the one rod bolt still in
> place
> , the rod had babit for bearing  is that normal ? my friend also is
> looking
> to weld up the piston with a tig and recut the ring grooves, would that
> work
> ?  we plan to straighten the rod and cap by hammering both around a
> shaft or
> pipe of the right diameter and then find someone to pour us a babit
> bearing
> ,will that work or has anyone tried this ? also if any one has a manual
> he
> would be willing to pay for a copy , also any one with spare parts he
> would
> be more than willing to purchase them ,thanks for reading
>

> Rex Hinz

=====
Joe Prindle
Patternmaker, Founder & Machinist