[SEL] Gencolight model 26 light plant

Rex Hinz rexhinz at chorus.net
Sat Jul 3 16:07:00 PDT 2004

Hi list '

   Maybe some one can help . I have a friend (Eric Applebaum) that has a
General Gas-Electric Co. Gencolight generator  model 26  type H serial #
14082   it is complete and he had it running until it started to back fire
and stopped , one of the con. rod bearing cap bolts   stripped and the
piston hit the intake valve broke it off and also busted the first and
second lands on the piston   not to mention the crank end of the rod where
the cap and rod are bent out of shape due to the one rod bolt still in place
, the rod had babit for bearing  is that normal ? my friend also is looking
to weld up the piston with a tig and recut the ring grooves, would that work
?  we plan to straighten the rod and cap by hammering both around a shaft or
pipe of the right diameter and then find someone to pour us a babit bearing
,will that work or has anyone tried this ? also if any one has a manual he
would be willing to pay for a copy , also any one with spare parts he would
be more than willing to purchase them ,thanks for reading

Rex Hinz