[SEL] Info on Communications

Steve W. falcon at telenet.net
Fri Dec 10 14:57:17 PST 2004

http://www.qsent.com/wireless411/index.shtml

This is the outfit that is setting up the list. These are from their
site.

Q. How will the Wireless 411 Service work?
Wireless subscribers who choose to participate in the Wireless 411
Service will be able to "OPT-IN" through their wireless carrier.
Subscribers who choose not to participate or who do nothing will not be
included. Qsent will receive opt-in wireless listing data from
participating carrier data sources and provide the information through
the nation's Operator Services Companies (OSCs). The information will be
placed into a dynamic privacy-protected database only accessible by a
participating OSC in response to a customer query for a wireless listing
as provided by the opt-in customer.

Q. Will all wireless customers be included in the Wireless 411 Service?
No. Only consumers who choose to participate (opt-in) with their
specific carrier will be included. The carriers' primary commitment in
developing a new Wireless 411 Service was to ensure their customers a
choice-based, privacy-protected service that requires pre-authorization
for inclusion. If a consumer chooses not to participate, or does
nothing, their information will not be included in the service.

Q. Will wireless customers numbers be included in a physical directory?
No physical directory of Wireless 411 Service numbers will exist either
printed, electronic or on the Internet, in whole or in part. Wireless
411 Service subscriber data for use by carrier selected 411 service
operators will be drawn from the privacy-protected database for
real-time single use by the 411 Operator Service Center.

Q. What steps have been taken to keep telemarketers from getting
Wireless 411 numbers?
Telemarketers don't use voice 411 services to contact people and
Wireless 411 Service numbers will not be put into any electronic list
for disclosure to telemarketers. Additionally, telemarketing use of
automated calling systems to a wireless phone number is prohibited by
law, and will still be illegal even if a consumer chooses to have their
wireless number in the 411 service.

The wireless industry has historically advocated for these privacy
measures and broadly supported the federal Telephone Consumer Protection
Act. The Wireless 411 Service was designed specifically to control all
the opt-in wireless 411 listing information in a single
privacy-protected database and release it only through qualified OSCs in
single record responses to individual voice 411 requests.

Steve Williams
Near Cooperstown NY