[SEL] Info on Communications

Judge Tommy Turner lcjudge at scrtc.com
Fri Dec 10 10:22:40 PST 2004

Arnie,
	I read the site but it doesn't say this is simply a hoax as such.  I
cut and pasted some of the info on Snopes below.  As it states, right
now (key words) the Wireless 411 is supposed (another key word) to not
be available to telemarketers per FCC regulations.  I'm registering my
phone anyhow to be on the safe side because as Snopes says, adding the
phone number will keep the number off limits to telemarketers and won't
likely have an adverse effect.  This, like many of the changes we have
seen come as a result of advanced technology, has probalby caused many
folks to jump the gun a bit on what "might" happen.  Nonetheless, adding
you numbers can't hurt.  Thanks for the additional info.

Tommy Turner
Magnolia, KY

When speaking of registering your cell phone number with the Do Not Call
List it states "....the latter step will not keep wireless customer
listings out of the proposed Wireless 411 database — it will only add
their phone numbers to a list of numbers off-limits to most
telemarketers, a step which is premature (because the Wireless 411
directory has not yet been implemented) and largely unnecessary (because
the Wireless 411 directory information is not supposed to be supplied to
telemarketers, and because FCC regulations already in place block the
bulk of telemarketing calls to cell phones).

Adding one's cell phone number to the National Do Not Call Registry
(even if currently unnecessary) won't likely have any adverse effect,
but customers should be aware of exactly what that action will or will
not accomplish."