[SEL] Friends and Igniters

Joe & Jewel Maurer toadhill at aeroinc.net
Tue Aug 31 09:14:23 PDT 2004

Hi Folks,

I'm new to the list so I'm not sure if I'm doing this right but here goes.
Met a bunch of new SEL friends at Baraboo and Portland.  Dave and Arnie,
Steve and Mel and Pete to name just a few.  Enjoyed the Thursday night
banquet and the good company.  I think a few of you are a little eccentric
but then who isn't?

Robert Bransen taught me a very valuable tip about igniters.  Carbon builds
up on the moveable electrode and causes the shaft to drag.  You can trip it
by hand or put a meter on it and it will act normal.  However, it doesn't
take much drag to cause the engine to stop.  Try cleaning the shaft with
carb cleaner and keep it well oiled.  This helps about 80% of igniter
troubles when the igniter is in good condition.

Regards,
Joe Maurer