[SEL] RE: Briggs Y

Andy Glines andyglines at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 31 06:10:27 PDT 2004

I'm not familiar with the Briggs Y but I have been monkeying with small
engines a bit lately.  I went through much of the same trouble with a Briggs
A that you are.  Help from the SEL palyed a big part in getting it to run
properly again.  You have already done one of my favorite tricks which is to
belt it to an electric motor.  With the electric motor you can monkey with
the fuel and other settings while it turning.  You seem to have dealt with
any compression issues already.  Your probably right about spark being you
problem.  When cranking, does the plug get wet with gas?  If it doesn't you
probably aren't getting enough gas.  If the plug does get wet then its
flooded and we have to figure out why.  Check the plug wire for cuts,
breaks, and cracks.  If the wire is damaged the spark will jump to ground
before it reaches the plug.  Also start out with a known good or new plug.
It is wise to check the plug on a good running engine.  Even new plugs are
bad sometimes.  Never trust on old plug because it looks good.  You can't
see the tiny cracks in the porcelin that will make one fail.  Have you
visually tested the spark?  Take the plug out and groud it with the wire
connected.  You can usually do this by laying it on the cylinder head with
the wire attached.  Crank the engine and make sure that it is jumping a
strong spark between the electrodes.  If it does make spark make sure it is
a strong blue spark and not weak or erratic.  If you have good spark go back
to look at the fuel system.  If you don't have spark reexamine the plug,
wire, points, & condensor/capacitor.  I had to repalce two capacitors on the
briggs A before I got a good one.  I found that when the capacitor went bad
it would jump a very small gap .005"-.010" but not the .030"-.035" needed to
fire a plug.  As others mentioned, it could be weak magnets in the flywheel
but I lean toward a bad capacitor.  Check these things and write back to us.

BTW I'm not sure of how much much experience that you have with engines so I
apologize if I overexplained things.