[SEL] Friends and Igniters

Curt Holland curt at imc-group.com
Tue Aug 31 10:18:01 PDT 2004

Welcome to this eccentric list Joe and thanks for the advice on ignitors.
I've got a question along the same lines concerning an ignitor on a
Stickney.
A Stickney ignitor has a sliding electrode instead of a rotating
electrode. Every single time I start to run my Stickney I have to remove
the ignitor and with great effort remove the stuck moving electrode from
the brass body it lives in. It is never rusty, but rather it is carboned
up to the point that it sticks tight if left overnight.
Removing and cleaning the ignitor is just part of my starting procedure
now, but it sure would be nice to eliminate this step!
The ignitor is in great shape with nice close tolerances and everything
glides nicely when clean.
Should I be using a special oil to prevent the carbon build up? I've
tried plain motor oil and 10wt. oil.
Any suggestions?
Curt Holland
Gastonia, NC