[SEL] Briggs "Y"

jlb94 at juno.com jlb94 at juno.com
Fri Aug 27 14:49:33 PDT 2004

Hi Guys,
Thanks to all who responded to my plea on removing the valve springs from
the Briggs
"Y".

I "muscled" the keepers off the valves and took out the springs and
"wired" them tight with thin bailing wire so I could get them in.

Even then, they fought me.  I knew I'd use that picture wire someday.

After refacing the valves and checking the gaps at .005 - .007
(.06)intake  and
.009 - .011 (.011) on the exhaust.  I reassembled the vales & springs.

After much aggravation, I decided to turn the engine up-side-down and
make gravity work FOR me instead of AGAINST me.

Finally got it all together and have 50 lbs compression.
 STILL, I cannot get this thing to bark.

Then I took off the bottom to see if it could be out of time.  With a
mirror and flashlight I saw that the timing marks are in the right
position. (Not that.)

The only thing I can think of now is - - - Is the spark strong enough ?
Maybe the capacitor ?  maybe a faint short somewhere ?

Beats me.  This engine used to run but it was always a bear to start.
Lately - Nothing !!

Oh well - Tomorrow is another day.

Hope everyone is enjoying themselves in Portland.

Joe "Pip" Betz said that.
jlb94 at juno.com
 ,-._,-.          "Two can live a cheaply as one  -
 \/)"(\/             but only half as long."
 (_o_)          http://community.webshots.com/user/pipbetz