[SEL] Briggs valve spring tool

Bruce Younger sluggo54 at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 27 06:26:22 PDT 2004

>>>I don't know where to tell you to look for a compressor for this engine,
>>>but
I have improvised on this type of engine with a pair of open end wrenches.
11/16 seems about right in my mind's eye, stick them both between the valve
keeper washer and the engine block.  Then pry them apart enough to force a
fulcrum in between them; maybe a 3/8 bolt, again I'm kind of guessing, YMMV.
That will allow you to squeeze the wrenches together forcing the end of the
wrenches in the engine apart and compressing the valve spring.

>>>Kind of frustrating, you'll need to hold your tongue just right and chose
your words carefully, but this should do it.

IIRC, it was a whole lot easier coming out than going back in, due to
having need of a third hand to get the keeper halves in, but my
memory ain't what it used to be. I think I like the idea of "renting"
the spring compressor.

Bruce Younger
05G HHC 313 RR Bn 3/67-4/68
Lenexa, KS