[SEL] Ford E450 1999

David Rotigel rotigel at me.com
Wed Aug 13 06:37:12 PDT 2014

Hi Peter,
	My observations over the years has been that most people who put out the amount of money (that it would have cost new in 1999) usually keep up real well re the upkeep on this kind of toy. That DOES NOT seem to be the case with this unit from what the current owner says about it. Are there any service records for it? Can you determine how many owners there have been? Have you looked at,smelled/tasted (yes, I said tasted) the fluid in the tranny? Have you checked out the rear end gear ratio to determine if it matches the use you foresee for the unit? If I were buying something like this I would be looking for a diesel, BUT a gas engine can take a lack of doing an oil change "on time" a lot better than can a diesel! I had a transmission in a 1999 F350 7.3 fail when the truck had about 110k miles on it. (A Ford new tranny cost about $4,000.00 installed, if I recall properly) I believe that was/is the same transmission they used in the 450. I was told (at the dealership) that that (i.e. 119/120K) is about what they expected out of it if it was used for hauling "heavy". Given that the unit is 15 years old you are going to have to put up with lots of nickel and dime repairs. It's the $10.00 dollar ones that are real a "kick in the head" or ass (as the case may be)! Good luck with whatever you decide!
	Dave