[SEL] JD model E lost its spark

Ed Herreid bigtime64 at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 1 12:53:11 PDT 2014

My JD will sometimes get weak spark.   Remove the cap that holds the brush on the commutator in the mag.  Hold a small piece of the paper shop towel or red shop towel on the commutator ( a pencil eraser works good for this) while spinning it over and clean  off any oil or build up.  Also clean off the brush if it is polished on the end.  An emory board or piece of sandpaper will clean it up nice.

Then spin it over and hold the wire on a bright piece of metal.  You should see sparking.

Ed Herreid