[SEL] Cast iron welding

Peter Lowe plowe at exemail.com.au
Wed Mar 27 03:54:19 PDT 2013

Thank you, will pass it on.
Peter

Nickel rod. Before welding grind down so you'll be able to weld most of the
broken surface but not all the way to a point as you'll still need to be
able to align the two parts and the bit of surface that you leave can help
align. Weld Only where there is NO wind or people moving around! Preheat
very well. Weld just a little bit then continue tapping the welded part with
the point of your chipping hammer at the same time you are continuing to
"preheat". The heat you are adding propane or butane. Acetylene could be
used but keep it moving! After your weld and the parent metal have settled
to the same temperature, you are ready to weld a little bit more. Continue
until it is all welded. Adding extra weld larger than the original sometimes
will make your  end product stronger. Now that your piece seems exceedingly
hot try your best to let it cool as slow as possible. No wind. No water.
Blankets or sand etc can help unless you blanket catches fire - oops. Good
luck. I've been pretty lucky using this procedure.

Glenn Wilson
www.WilsonsWarbler.com