[SEL] Delco Battery Charging Help

Steve W. swilliams268 at frontier.com
Sun Oct 21 08:52:42 PDT 2012

cgandree at mchsi.com wrote:
> Unfortunately the engine is bolted to the concrete floor in our
> display building with the flywheel butted right up against the wall
> so cranking is imposible, plus there is not a crank for it. Alan you
> mentioned a newer model with 6v starter, which model is that? Might
> see if I can locate a 36v golf cart charger somewhere and try that
> too. If any of you have had experience with cleaning and recharging
> delco battery banks I would appreciate a response and phone number
> where I could chat with you directly. Thank you, Curt Andree

The starter on the one I work on is nothing more than a starter motor
with a rubber wheel that contacts the flywheel.

How about an AC motor with a rubber tire on the shaft. Make a simple
mount so you can hold it tight to the flywheel.
Get the engine turning over and started. Then let it charge the batteries.

IF you have the original glass batteries with the rubber seals they are
easy to clean out. If they are the later tar sealed ones they are not as
easy but the tar is a PIA.

--
Steve W.