[SEL] New Way

curt at rustyiron.com curt at rustyiron.com
Wed May 30 11:18:12 PDT 2012

Well guys, Sunday was the big 50. I was determined to NOT mow any grass,
fix anything in the yard or house, and spend the day doing nothing but gas
engine hobby stuff.
At Baraboo a couple of years ago Missy found this pitiful little engine
cart with terribly floppy wheels. A closer look revealed that pieces of
babbitt bearings from a small engine had been stuffed to fill the gap
between the axle and the wheel hubs! So the last month or so has been
spent boring the wheel true, installing Oilite bushings, installing new
axles, and fixing all the broken and bent parts on this cart.
Sunday was spent assembling the cart, drilling holes, and mounting the New
Way engine on the cart. Here is the result of the day's work.
<http://www.oldengine.org/members/holland/images/NewWay/Thumbnails.html>

Really please with the look.

The engine is a little stiff to turn even though I've put plenty of oil in
the cylinder and lubed things as best I can.

At this point I really need some New Way experts to spread some knowledge.

-How are the mains lubed?
-How is the big end of the conn rod lubed?
-Does this have a wet sump? I see no access hole to check oil level.

It has a Bosch maggy. It doesn't impulse like other mags. Can any one tell
me how these work? Or point me to a link about them?

Thanks,
Curt Holland