[SEL] Spam> OT - Ford Engine Lifter

Steve W. swilliams268 at frontier.com
Fri Mar 16 08:38:29 PDT 2012

jlb94 at juno.com wrote:
> Hi Guys,
> I have an "Off Topic" question - - -
> In my '72 Ford engine, there is a valve lifter that keeps trying to collapse.  If I stop the engine and count to 10, the lifter seems to recover.
> Question :::   Is it possible to remove Ford lifters without taking off the head and/or intake manifold and shied ?
> I am thinking of trying to insert something down through the push rod hole in the head and grab the lifter and pull it out.   - - - Possible ?
>

> Joe "Pip" Betz said that.
> jlb94 at juno.com - - - www.oldengine.org/members/betz
>  ,-._,-.      http://community.webshots.com/user/pipbetz
>  \/)"(\/
>  (_0_)    "Properly trained,  A man can be dog’s best friend." (Cory Ford)

Have you tried flushing the engine out with some cleaner? I use a mix of
ATF and engine oil. 3 oil/2 ATF Start engine on regular oil. Drain oil
while warm/hot. Put in mix, start engine and let it run a bit. Shut it
off.and let it set 10-20 minutes. Restart and let it run 5 minutes or
so. gently run the rpms up/down so the oil pressure can clean out the
engine. Drain it out hot. Change the filter and put in clean oil. See
what the lifter does now. Lifter problems are usually dirt/crud in the
valving on them.

Not possible to pull them without pulling the intake at least.

--
Steve W.