[SEL] unknown engine

Mark Shulaw frappi at wcoil.com
Fri Mar 9 10:43:46 PST 2012

Well that certainly makes sense. If you are poor but inventive and
you need an engine,  you pick up one with broken flywheels for
whatever reason and glob on whatever you can scrounge up to make it work.
The back ground looks like the typical VA, W.VA and NC farm land of
the period. Striped bare of even the flimsiest of tree or bush and
farmed to death.
Lot of people do not realize that the eastern areas like that were
stripped bare for as far as the eye could see and farmed to death.
What we see today as tree filled verdant woods was less then a
hundred years ago bald as a billiard ball.     TTYL,   Mark

>My wife's people were all very mechanically inclined.  Known in the  area
>to be able to fix steam engines, make tractors from automobile parts,  take
>several junk cars and put them together to make a jalopy, etc. Knowing  that,
>it is no telling what they have done to the engine in the photo to make  it
>workable.  We know it is her grandfather and possibly her brother who  died
>as a young child in the photo.
>
>Tom  Schmutz
>Concord, Va.
>germoamer at aol.com

Mark Shulaw
454 County Road 33
Bluffton, OH. 45817
USA

Frappi at wcoil.com / 419.358.5206  Home
Hobby Collector and Dealer in John Deere
and Hercules Engines.
Maytag Multi-Motor Engine parts.
VISIT the Maytag Collectors Club at  www.Maytagclub.com