[SEL] gluing plastic OT

Rob Skinner rob at rustyiron.com
Fri Mar 9 09:56:07 PST 2012

On Mar 9, 2012, at 9:12 AM, Germoamer at aol.com wrote:

> I own a John Deere lawnmower with a plastic hood.  I have developed a
> crack in the hood near where it latches on each side of the mower.  At this
> same location the upper and lower halves of the hood are bolted together and
> the  nut area has broken out a piece of the plastic.
>
> Any suggestions for a good thin "crazy" type glue.  I need something  thin
> that will go into the crack.   At one time I worked for Eastman  Kodak, and
> the Eastman 910 glue was great stuff.

Back in the olden days, we frequently had problems with broken fenders on motorcycles and other off road vehicles. I never found an adhesive that was suitable, as the plastics used were made so that nothing stuck to them. Kelley once brought home a plastic welder, but the results were not that good, either.

If the “Hillbilly Look” is ok, you might make a piece of sheet metal to fit, then use a lot of small bolts to attach it to the plastic. A new hood will surely be expensive.

Rob