[SEL] Tri-State / Portland show NEW info for this year

Mark Shulaw frappi at wcoil.com
Sat Jul 28 08:46:57 PDT 2012

The loss of the trading post I think will enhance demand for vending
spaces but not near enough to replace the revenue loss. They would
have to add more outdoor vending spaces. The outdoor trading post
corral area would add a few more vending spaces. And maybe a good
thing to do with that building would be to rent it out to "Engine"
and "Tractor Parts" Venders wanting indoor space. There are many that
would use it. I am sure there would be more then enough people
wanting indoor parts vending space to fill it. BUT!! make sure its
engine and tractor parts, not industrial salvage or non directly
related items for sale. Not shirts, coffee cups or can coolies with
tractors or engines on them.  I don't care what anyone says thats
flea market. There is a line that can be drawn.
  From what I understand no Director would Chair the trading post and
you can not or should not delegate out that position to a non
Director. Now the director can delegate the rest but he/she is the
ultimate supervisor in charge, responsible. A trading post of that
size is a headache that most people have no idea of. I know, I used
to volunteer in and then Chair the trading post at Findlay. Although
not the size of Portlands it has its comparable headaches. You have
no idea how hard it is just to face a disappointed consignor that had
a item shoplifted and apologize for its loss and the frustration at
the helplessness you feel. And I hear they had a lot of that to do
there. And thats just the tip of the headaches.

Mark

At 07:59 AM 7/28/2012, you wrote:
>No, the fees aren't increasing. I can't speak for recent years but I
>know in the past I'd heard the statement that the club made more from
>the trading post than they did the gate. This would be a major revenue
>loss and the butt buggy fee is the only really new revenue enhancer that
>they have had recently. I knew the directors quit after last year but
>aren't directors voted in by the members? If you were to run for a
>director's position, shouldn't you be ready to accept any of the
>thankless jobs required? If nobody volunteered, why wasn't someone
>chosen or delegated? The flip side is that there were a lot of people
>that depended on the trading post for some additional cash during the
>show and as a way to sell a few small items without having to rent a
>vendor's space. Letting people sell a few items from their display would
>increase the traffic in the display area but where would they draw the
>line there? A consignment auction won't be a bad thing but it will need
>to be held before the last day to work out. I still think its going to
>be an interesting year. Doug T
>

>jnyost at yahoo.com wrote:
> > Are the butt buggy fees increasing? If so how much?
> >

> > Saw that in the newsletter. Do you suppose the butt buggy fees are
> > covering the loss of revenue? Will we see the east end vendors area
> > expand some more? It's going to be interesting seeing how this will work
> > out. Doug T

Mark Shulaw
454 County Road 33
Bluffton, OH. 45817
USA

Frappi at wcoil.com / 419.358.5206  Home
Hobby Collector and Dealer in John Deere
and Hercules Engines.
Maytag Multi-Motor Engine parts.
VISIT the Maytag Collectors Club at  www.Maytagclub.com