[SEL] thing help

Germoamer at aol.com Germoamer at aol.com
Mon Feb 13 06:29:10 PST 2012

So what do I have in the photos?  It is all brass, 11 inch long  cylinder,
and 3 inches in diameter, no markings what so ever.  The  top has a plunger
type handle and stem, and a small cap.  Both of  these have lead  washers to
form a seal.  The plunger handle has an  internal spring so that when the
handle is in the locked (bayonet type lock)  position it forces the lead
washer to seal.  The top of the cylinder cap is  soldered so that nothing is
removal for repair, i.e. the plunger type mechanism  is not removal.  The
bottom has a 1 inch diameter boss with a small 3/32  inch hole in it. Looking
inside thru the cap, an  internal cylinder can be seen extending from top to
bottom that  the handle stem is in , as though it is some sort of pump  type
mechanism.  The interesting thing is that there is a smaller pipe  running
from top to bottom and attached at right angles near the top and  bottom to
this internal cylinder.  When I pump the plunger, I cannot  build up any
noticeable pressure on the bottom hole. When I filled it up with  water and
pumped the plunger, only a very small spits of water came out  with no pressure
again.  Short of un soldering the top cap, I cannot tell  you much more about
it.  Any one have knowledge of this "thing"?

Thanks,
Tom Schmutz

_http://www.oldengine.org/members/schmutz/images/Thing1.jpg_
(http://www.oldengine.org/members/schmutz/images/Thing1.jpg)