[SEL] Belt dressing

Rob Skinner rob at rustyiron.com
Mon Dec 31 22:33:22 PST 2012

On Dec 31, 2012, at 6:53 PM, curt at rustyiron.com wrote:

> Rob,
> Does the article speak to reversing the belt directing every so often? It
> would seem reasonable to expect the fibers on the surface of the belt to
> all lay down in the pulling direction and get smoother and smoother w/
> time. By reversing the belt, maybe increased friction can be gained for a
> while as the fibers reorient and lay down the other direction.
>
> How about any surface treatments to the face of the sheaves such as
> sandblasting to improve bite?

I’ve not read anything about reversing the direction of travel.

As to “roughing up” the surface of the pulley, I think it would actually decrease the friction. Think about racing slicks.

I think one would typically get satisfactory results if one was to abide by generally accepted rules for load capacity and drivetrain design, and then followed recommendations for proper maintenance.