[SEL] E-bay Listing No. 300600454460

Jerry Evans jerrye at databak.co.za
Sat Sep 17 10:11:31 PDT 2011

   At 06:00 PM 17/09/11, you wrote:

     Message: 2
     Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2011 15:18:13 -0400
     From: "Judge Tommy Turner" <lcjudge at scrtc.com>
     Subject: Re: [SEL] E-bay Listing No.  300600454460
     Looks like you did a pretty good job on the listing to me Jerry.  I
     tried to
     put in "Lister Engine Plate" on the US eBay site and it didn't bring
     up
     anything.  However, I've noticed it sometimes takes a day or two for
     the
     listings on UK site to show up here in the US.  Not sure why.
     The only thing I could recommend would be how you list the title of
     the
     plate.  There are some key words that might help as if you get to
     specific
     in the listing then the person doing the search has to be about as
     specific
     as your listing to find it.  They can find out specifics once they
     look at
     the listing.  I'd try putting a few more generic terms in the
     heading such
     as "hit miss" and "antique gas engine" in the listing somehow.  You
     have:
             Lister "D" Stationary engine etched brass specification
     (makers)
     plate
     This heading might catch more hits:
             Antique Lister hit miss stationary gas engine name or makers
     plate
     We know Lister's aren't hit and miss engines.  However, hit miss is
     a term
     that is commonly used to describe old engines and a lot of folks
     search the
     ebay listings using the term "hit miss"  Here in the US "name plate"
     is most
     often used to describe the plate on an engine that tells the maker,
     hp, etc.
     However, I know in many places the term "makers plate" is used.  If
     you put
     both of them in there then a search will come up with either.  On
     the
     suggestion I've made, your listing will appear if any of the
     following
     searches are used:
     Antique engine
     Hit miss
     Hit miss engine
     Stationary engine
     Antique gas engine
     Engine name plate
     Engine makers plate
     Lister engine
     Lister makers plate
     Antique engine name plate
     Antique engine makers plate
     Lister name plate
     Etc.
     Etc.
     Etc.

   Many thanks for your reply Judge,
           I answered the "Hit 'n Miss" question on the other list so will
   just copy that reply to here:
           "I purposefully did not do that because there was a discussion
   on these lists a few years back that mentioned exactly that and it
   annoyed most buyers if the engine was NOT a "Hit 'n Miss" (Lister "D"
   engines are throttle governed). Ads that were incorrectly described as
   "Hit 'n Miss" to attract buyers were considered to be "Spamming"
           In future ads I may consider adding something to the text of
   the ad to the effect that "I make etched brass plates for "Hit 'n Miss
   engines", "Throttle Governed engines" and all makes of "Vintage
   Stationary Engines"".  that should keep everyone happy and also get
   searches like yours to the page."
           That discussion was a few years back (according to my elephant
   memory) and things may have changed so any comments from list members
   would be appreciated. I do see that some ads have "not Hit 'n Miss" in
   the title - would that be acceptable to all ?
           Tommy, I agree on all your other terms and have been pondering
   on what to use. You have given me some good ideas - thank you.
           Regarding the fact that it did not show up on the USA site, I
   think that problem has been solved thanks to Peter and others on the
   "Oldengine List". It had to do with the Postal arrangements (specified
   as UK only) and I managed to find out how to change that to
   "Worldwide". It should now show on all e-Bay sites.
           Thanks again to you (and others) for your input, I need
   knowledge like that to make my listings work.
           I will be putting up quite a few more in the next day or so,
   that one was my first attempt and just an experiment.
   Keep the revs up (or down)
   Jerry Evans
   <[1]www.oldengine.org/members/evans/plates/index.htm>