[SEL] shim stock

Dave Rotigel rotigel at me.com
Sat Sep 17 04:41:42 PDT 2011

Hi Jimmy,
	I know of no engines that came from the factory w/out shims--ie simply allowed the caps to "float" relying simply on the double nuts. My 16 HP Galloway has a combination of hardwood and a sort of composition material that seems to be some sort of gasket material. Additionally it has several thin metal pieces (about the thickness of a calling card) to finish it off. The plaques that you get at engine shows make fine shims, and for thinner shims beer cans work very well. Old Mill cans seem to be a bit thicker than those used for less expensive beer--Jennie Cream and all that foreign crap that some on the List seem to like, but any and all of them will work fine. By manufacturing shims from beer cans you have the added pleasure of years of satisifaction knowing that you "really made" the shims yourself. Additionally it's a "green" project and you can apply for a federal grant for the project!
	Dave
PS, Good luck with your "N." I hope that your grant comes through before the guy is thrown out of office for practicing "Chicago Politics" in the oval office!