[SEL] (Maybe O.T.) Selling my brass plates on e-Bay

Jerry Evans jerrye at databak.co.za
Sun Sep 11 13:50:37 PDT 2011

   Hi Guys n Gals,
           I'd appreciate some input (tips, tricks, ideas etc.) from those
   of you who sell "stuff" on e-bay.
           I'm considering putting my "Brass spec. plates" on e-bay and my
   current thoughts are as follows;
           i) I will need to offer plates for "common" engines to "get the
   ball rolling". Plates for example for "Wolseley", "Lister", "Ruston &
   Hornsby" (British engines) , IHC, Novo and a few others (USA engines)
   and of course some Aussie engines and European engines.
           Over the last 7 years I have built up quite a range of artwork
   but, because of how I've done things (and market forces) most of my
   artwork is for very rare engines which will probably not mean much to
   most e-bayer's or engine collectors (how many of you need a plate for a
   Lichfield engine for example).
   Some questions I would like answered are :
           1) Am I allowed to put a link back to my "Oldengine" page in an
   e-Bay auction (without having to start an eBay Shop).
           2) How would I explain to e-Bayers that I make plates to spec.
   in spite of the fact that I'm offering "this or that common plate" and
   am I allowed to send them back to my "Oldengine" page or ask them to
   contact me directly to my e-mail address ?.
           3) I would only offer plates that I have "in stock" on e-Bay so
   that I could offer immediate despatch but how do I get the message over
   that I can make any etched plate on order but that it would take some
   time (You all know how bad my service is and how long it could take for
   a "one off" plate :-))
           4) Can I put a "reserve price" on e-Bay that is a dollar or two
   higher than my webpage price to cover e-Bay and PayPal costs ?
           5) What are the "Pro's and Cons" of a "Buy it now" price?
           I have a lot more questions but it is late and I've gotta get
   my "Beauty Sleep" now so, any information will be accepted.
   Thanks guys n gals

   Keep the revs up (or down)
   Jerry Evans
   <[1]www.oldengine.org/members/evans/plates/index.htm>