[SEL] Anyone out there

Eric Walter eric at facspro.com
Thu Oct 6 06:38:43 PDT 2011

All is well in Central Nebraska. It would be better if the wind would quit
blowing though!! 5 days of 30-45 mph winds with gusts to 65 and today is
supposed to be worse-- 40-60 with gusts reaching 75mph. Looks like the dust
bowl around here with all the dirt and debris from harvest activity in the
bean fields.

An update on my quest for information on my Spark plug fired John Deere
1.5HP Type E........ It isn't.
I went to an auction last month with the intention of taking pictures of a
Spark Plug fired Type E engine that was listed on the sale bill. While
watching  the engines and engine parts being sold off I noticed a guy that
was bidding on only John Deere pieces. So while there was a gap in engine
colors I introduced myself and asked him if he knew anything about the Spark
Plug fired engines like the one down the row. I explained my quandry and he
went on to show me quite a bit about the engines and how to tell a true plug
fired model from a fake. (I guess there is a guy in MI that sells conversion
kits to turn an igniter type to a spark plug type) The one at the auction
was a true plug fired model and in our discussion he mentioned that he has a
couple others and this one would be his by the end of the day.......Whatever
the cost!! I asked him what was so special about this one and he said. "I'm
all about original, I've got an original battery box with a repro lid on one
and a repro battery box and lid on the other and that one right there is an
original battery box and an original lid. And I want that box and lid!"
When the bidding started he nodded each time it came back to him without
batting an eye. Every one but one other bidder dropped when it passed
$900.00 the other guy started slowing down at $1100.00 but kept going.That
battery box and lid ended up selling for $1400.00 plus he got another engine
with it to boot!!

Back to my project. After a quick discussion it was obvious that my spark
plug version wasn't original so it was back to the drawing board and sales
to find the parts to convert it back to an igniter/mag fired engine. I just
received the igniter yesterday and I think I have everything else so it's
time to get to work!! If I had been smart I would have been tearing it down
while waiting and restoring it but Jacob and I have been very busy with our
tractors so I will just get it running for now then do a teardown some other
time.

Eric Walter