[SEL] Ignitor Point Material

Orrin Iseminger obise at moscow.com
Sat Nov 26 06:25:49 PST 2011

On 11/25/2011 10:28 PM, Joe Prindle wrote:
> If any of you recall what the material that Ted Brookover recommended for make ignitor points is called, please let me know.
> I had an Otto ignitor show up in the shop today for repairs and would like to see if I can obtain some more of that material to make the points out of.
> Thank you,
> Joe
>
> Joe Prindle
> Baraboo, WI USA
> "All I ask is the chance to prove that money can't make me happy." Spike Milligan
>
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Here is what I have in my notes.  See below.
     Orrin

Orrin Iseminger
Colton, Washington, USA
http://users.moscow.com/oiseming/lc_ant_p/menu.htm
So many projects.  So little time.

Hi All, In answer to the Ignitor points Question, I use a couple of
materials depending on the application I am working on. First, in all of the
new Ignitors I build, I use 3/16 Tunston Tig electrodes, cut into 1/8
wafers, and silver solder them in place. That is for Battery and Coil
application. Common nails will work also, but if you use a 12 volt power
source, you may see some burning at the points. I have had customers be very
specific in asking me to use "John Deere Points", no doubt thinking that
they would be the best available Point. I ordered points from John Deere,
they came in the JD Packaging and looked very good. But when I sat one on
the bench close to a Magnetic screw driver, it jumped right to the driver.
It would seem that the Original Points from John Deere are nothing more than
1/8 " shank steel rivets ($4 per set). The Point here is that you can use
anything to make points as long as they are securely attached and mate well
with each other. For Magneto applications like Websters and Plug
oscillators, I use 5/16 soft Stainless Steel or Monell because it seems that
the softer material allows a better spark and there is no danger of burning
the points . 3/16" Tungston is getting very hard to find and I am going to
have to go to 1/8" in the future. Hope this helps, Ted

Ted Brookover
4801 E. Red Bridge Rd.
Kansas City Mo. 64137
816-763-3142