[SEL] aging new timber to look old

Rob Skinner rob at rustyiron.com
Thu Nov 17 17:39:11 PST 2011

On Nov 16, 2011, at 2:06 PM, Craig Morrison wrote:

> Hi,
>        As the title says, does anyone have any ideas how to age the new timber used on an engine cart so as it looks period to an original looking engine.(ie; not shiny as using a wood preservative will leave it)
>    Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Hi, Craig.
I’ve done a few projects that required old-looking wood. My recipe is a bit different every time.

I mix it in a disposable pie tin or bowl. These are the basic ingredients, with the biggest component first, working down to the smallest. I start with mostly linseed oil. Into that I’ll pour some dark wood stain. Usually I’ll add some used motor oil. I always add about a tablespoon of black paint, otherwise it’s never dark enough. Sometimes I’ll add about a mouthful or so lacquer thinner, but not aways.

I slop the mixture onto the wood, let it sit, then wipe it off, as you would stain.

Sometimes the finish comes out looking lighter than I wanted, but it will definitely darken after six months or so. Exposure to sunlight, dirt, heat and oxygen will really make a difference.

Rob