[SEL] SEL Digest, Vol 92, Issue 9

Jerry Evans jerrye at databak.co.za
Thu Nov 17 14:15:02 PST 2011

   At 07:00 PM 17/11/11, you wrote:

     Message: 13
     Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2011 16:56:07 -0800
     From: rdhaskell at juno.com
     Subject: Re: [SEL] Paint match
     Thanks Mark.
     It seems I was asking about the wrong color.  What I really need is
     Deep
     Bronze Green  BS381c-224.  It is extremely dark, at least that is
     how my
     monitor shows it.  Will probably need someone from England or
     Australia
     to send a color chip to take to the paint shop to match.  Thanks for
     your
     reply.
     Ron Haskell

   Hi Ron,
           Those Brits and their "Greens" - Mid Brunswick was used by
   Lister but it was at one time the"standard" green to use for all
   (British) industrial equipment. Very closely related to British Racing
   Green (maybe a "smidge" lighter)

           ISTR that "Deep Bronze Green" was also called "Land Rover
   Green" but not too sure but also closely related to the"Brunswick
   colours". I think that Ruston or Petters used that colour but it's late
   here and I would not "swear to it".
           You can never go by your Monitor colours but a Google search
   for RGB (Red Green Blue) colour equivalent chart can help. Once you
   have found the "RGB" then ask someone who has a graphics programme like
   Photoshop or CorelDraw to do a letter size drawing with a rectangle
   filling the page coloured with that RGB formula. Take that drawing to a
   decent printing company and ask them to print it out on coated paper
   for you (your home inkjet printer may not be as accurate as the high
   quality printers used by the printing company). That will give you
   pretty good idea of the colour and a paint shop can mix from it.
   (Remember that a colour printed onto coated or even a glossy paper will
   vary slightly from the same colour printed onto matte (or Plain) paper.

     ((The colour you mention "BS381c-224" has a small "c" just after the
     381 - that only means that that it is what the the colour will look
     like on a "coated" paper - the printing company will be able to
     explain more than I can !))

   A very quick search gives the RGB equivalent as 30 40 20 (ie 30 parts
   RED - 40 parts Green - 20 parts Blue) but I'm tired and in a hurry so
   best check yourself :-(
   If you like I can do the CorelDraw drawing for you - let me know off
   list.

   Keep the revs up (or down)
   Jerry Evans
   <[1]www.oldengine.org/members/evans/plates/index.htm>