[SEL] Type E Mag questions

Eric Walter eric at facspro.com
Sat May 28 10:37:39 PDT 2011

Just a couple questions from the newbie---

Just received a Mag for my JD Type E --- With the mag sitting on the kitchen table how can I test to see if it is "hot"?
I'm used to my tractor mags that have an impulse trip.

Also I've been reading about the timing marks which I have been able to find on the cam gear and the crank gear. I'm not so sure on the mag though-- I can see what appears to be a + stamped on a gear tooth and what appears to be a punch mark on another tooth -- If I am looking at the mag gear from the gear side of the mag and position the "+" mark at 12 o'clock the punch mark is at 3 o'clock.

Thank you,

Eric Walter