[SEL] Trailer Update

Listerdiesel listerdiesel at gmail.com
Sat May 7 11:43:08 PDT 2011

On 7 May 2011 15:07, Jim Dunmyer <jdunmyer at toltbbs.com> wrote:
> That said, Peter's trailer can't be loaded improperly to the point of
> causing handling problems, as it has 4 wheels, on the corners. It's more of
> a "wagon" than a "trailer", at least to me.

The individual axles are rated at 1300kg or 2860# each, so the
combined maximum load is 3900kg or 8580#.

The UK regulates this class/size of trailer to 3500kg or 7700# gross
weight as it uses over-run braking. Above 3500kg you have to have
powered brakes, usually air operated.

So, we have the two rear axles with the Ruston sat across them at
1700kg which leaves a fair margin of safety. The front axle is
carrying the front half of the body and the living quarters. The
towbar is not imposing any load on the towing vehicle, other than its
own weight and that of the towing coupling.

We are not ready for a loaded run yet, but we expect to see fairly
even distribution across the three axles.

Peter
--
Peter A Forbes
Email: listerdiesel at gmail.com