[SEL] Semi-OT: Air Compressor Tank Hydrostatic Testing

Steve W. swilliams268 at frontier.com
Tue Mar 8 18:04:25 PST 2011

Arnie Fero wrote:
> What are the requirements (if any) for hydrostatic testing of private-use at-home
> air compressor tanks?  I'm thinking that it's probably a good idea to have a
> newly-acquired used tank tested.

None if it's not a business. The company that makes the compressor and
pressure vessels are responsible for testing them prior to sale.

> Does the tank need to be taken to the tester, or do they normally come to where the
> tank is?

Depends on the size of the tank and what type of testing. For a small
tank they usually do the test in a test vessel. On large tanks the
requirements are a bit different and the tests are done in a different
manner.

> Any idea on ballpark cost for the testing?

Depends. Small tanks like our air pack bottles run about 20 bucks each
but the county does ours for free.
The last larger tank I had done was 135.00 for a 300 gallon propane tank.

--
Steve W.